CODING

Coding represents the fundamental and most powerful way to work on a computer and establish a presence in a digital world. But is this the only way? Is the meaning of coding only in the digital world? As an Urban Advantage teacher, I had the opportunity to converse with an Urban Advantage colleague about classroom experiences and one teacher mentioned how in her school community coding is used. However, that term in her school community meant that students were using various forms of annotations in reading a text and computers were not being used. Therefore, what truly is coding? In this column, we make the case for coding as a new literacy and the potential of teaching code to learners through a series of workshops. Through the workshop process, learners not only develop the logic and problem-solving skills to think computationally but also socialize with one another through their coded stories, developing a wider appreciation of what it means to participate computationally. (Burke, Q., O’Byrne) I’m not certain how I would use coding in my classroom. What are your thoughts team?

• Gerald Ardito

By Gerald Ardito

Tammy,

I loved this:

Coding represents the fundamental and most powerful way to work on a computer and establish a presence in a digital world. But is this the only way? Is the meaning of coding only in the digital world? As an Urban Advantage teacher, I had the opportunity to converse with an Urban Advantage colleague about classroom experiences and one teacher mentioned how in her school community coding is used. However, that term in her school community meant that students were using various forms of annotations in reading a text and computers were not being used. Therefore, what truly is coding? 

I am wondering about your answer your own question.

Group E

http://pacecommons.org/groups/profile/8353/group-d
    Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018