C. Raoul Week 12 Coding Literacy

Coding definitely should be taught in schools especially special education. The journal, Computational Participation, the author’s make the case for coding as a new literacy and the potential of teaching code to learners through a series of workshops. Through the workshop process, learners not only develop the logic and problem-solving skills to think computationally but also socialize with one another through their coded stories, developing a wider appreciation of what it means to participate computationally. I think that this would be something that would cause the students minds to open up as they will now see how their favorite app is created. They will be able to problem-solve and use skills learned in their core subjects to figure out what to do in a lesson. They also get to be creative and use their imagination. They are using higher-level thinking skills. Annette Vee states that computer programming has a lot in common with textual literacy—historical trajectory, social shaping, affordances for communication, and connections to civic discourse. She also argues that that the refrain of “literacy” in reference to computer programming is not only apt because of these parallels, but that our definitions of literacy must shift to accommodate this new form of digital writing. I would have to agree with the author as coding is much more that just computer programming. It brings together all the skills the students have been learning into one thing which is the coding. Students have to be able to practice what they learn in their core classes to bring to life the code. They would get to learn and practice such things as math concepts such as variables and conditions, logic such as sequencing as well as cause and effect, and techniques for solving problems.Many of my students are autistic and are in love with the computer. My students especially in my 8:1:1,struggle with reading, writing, and math in school, it is imperative that they learn techniques to improve these skills.To get them to really engaged in a lesson, I usually have to have them participate via smart board or an iPad doing a app. To get them to a point where they could make the own app would be great. Their focus is usually in learning new programs and incorporating coding will help my students gain skills such as sequencing, problem solving, math concepts, as well as perseverance so that they will become better readers, writers, and mathematicians. 

• Gerald Ardito

By Gerald Ardito

Cindy,

Thanks for your response.

I would be curious to hear about what you decide to do here:

Many of my students are autistic and are in love with the computer. My students especially in my 8:1:1,struggle with reading, writing, and math in school, it is imperative that they learn techniques to improve these skills.To get them to really engaged in a lesson, I usually have to have them participate via smart board or an iPad doing a app. To get them to a point where they could make the own app would be great. Their focus is usually in learning new programs and incorporating coding will help my students gain skills such as sequencing, problem solving, math concepts, as well as perseverance so that they will become better readers, writers, and mathematicians. 

• Cindy Raoul

By Cindy Raoul

Prof....this is truly a work in progress as my classes are pretty low cognitively. 

Group B

Here is the online home for Group B.
      Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018