Week 10 -CRaoul

Kristie Hotchkiss and Marty Hogenstate in their article “Writing Like a Historian: What Teacher Candidates Should Know and Be Able To Teach”, in addition to being content experts, secondary teachers must know how to teach students to learn, read, and write in their specific disciplines (National Commission on Writing in America’s Schools and Colleges 2003; Newell, Koukis,and Boster 2007). Literacy strategy instruction promotes learning in the disciplines. I must say I started this assignment a bit confused at the choice of wording in terms of the word “genres”. Being that I am a, ELA special education teacher, I will say that using the wording “genre” as a subject matter, I would say that reading (literacy) is used across all disciplines. Reading is a must across the board for any subject you come across. In all subject matters, whether it is math or science, showing evidence is a must. Part of what appealed to me about Kelly Chandler-Olcott in the article “Expanding What It Means to Make Evidence-Based Claims” quotes David Weinberger, a senior researcher at the Harvard Berkman Center for Internet and Society, states that he, too, was seeking meaning, not just data, from his media browsing, even when the facts were incomplete. I feel that this is where we are in society. In an age where we are being blasted with all kinds of fake new, I definitely think that there has been a shift in the term of “evidence”. Things being written are not being taken for face value anymore and many people have to back up what they write with proof. Part of an ELA teacher’s role is to teach the students how to prove or back up everything they write with proof. Currently we are teaching the students what it means to make inferences and understanding what a text say explicitly. Learning this skill will enable them to know how to gather evidence. Angela M. Kohnen states that “once students began gathering information, they had to work on two important skills: performing Internet research and conducting an interview. Much has been written about students’ Internet research skills (e.g., Ostenson), but often these approaches are limited to encouraging students to conduct academic research and do not provide adequate context for suggested assignments.” This experience is similar to what I am observing in our school. Our instructional focus is writing and most of our students are now researching their writing topics because they are now more invested in writing because they get to choose what they are presenting opposed to being given a topic.In its efforts to leverage students’ knowledge, language, and literacy practices for academic learning, the sociocultural approach demystifies academic language and academic literacy, blurring the distinction between the academic and the everyday. Once they are able to make inference and conduct research and then put theim all into words, it is important that we teach them how to properly write. I think that this really important due to the technological age we are living in. We write everyday and it is important about the type of writing that is being done in ELA is very important. Students live on their text or social media with a minimum of characters for them to write. Students must know how to write when on twitter vs ELA class. This is something that we will continue to work on in my classroom. I have several students who write like they are texting and by the end of the school year, I hope they would be writing as if they were general education.

Group B

Here is the online home for Group B.
Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018