Week 7 Cindy Raoul

To address the question, What does adolescent literacy mean in the digital age and what, if any, place does it have in our classrooms? I found thatThe article by Troy Hicks and Kristen Hawley Turner notes that as more digital tools are developed, we see educators use these technologies in conference presentations and classroom lessons. For example, polling tools have become common, and we regularly see teachers survey students to find out about their needs, automatically creating interactive graphs from their responses and—sadly—then continue right ahead and present the same lesson with a prefabricated slide deck. I personally agree with this method because I firmly think that with everything you have to meet a person where they are at. If the student respond well to this method of learning, what is wrong with that. Kids are doing polls in every social media platform such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Teaching in a way that is relatable to them think is the most effective way to teach. In the article, Studying New Literacies, the author’s notes that as social practices mediated by digital technologies, new literacies differ fundamentally from conventional print literacies on the basis that their inscriptions are rendered in pixels on screens rather than by impressions on paper, by means of digital code rather than material analogue means (whether printed and illustrated/imaged/diagrammed by hand, typewriter, or press). That is, new literacies involve a shift from material. is true for me as dwell not only being a teacher but also as an avid reader. I have tried to make the switch from hard or paperback books to the Kindle but I have fond that it is difficult for me to follow the book that I reading due to the fact that the screen goes on and off and that when you are not moving the screen will power off. My eyes also took a while to adjust to reading on screen. Although it many cause things to move a bit slower, I feel that is nothing better than print when teaching or reading. Things can be done online but learning from text is better. Additional online resources can support students with disabilities as well as struggling middle grade readers. Bookshare (https://www.bookshare.org/) is a free online library of more than 240,000 digital books designed for student and adults with visual, physical, and learning disabilities. Bookshare lets students download books, newspapers, and magazines, making it possible to then read them using text-to-speech software. This is an excellent resource for students who find reading independently difficult.I highlight this particular resource due to the fact in my classroom I try to use a variety of technology available to me that would be the most appropriate for my students. I usually use the resource boardmaker, as well as other resources for reading such as MyON or Reading A-z. This resources have adapted levels and helps by students at least engage with technology even on the most basic level.

Group B

Here is the online home for Group B.
Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018