Week 7 Literacy

As social practices mediated by digital technologies, new literacies differ fundamentally from conventional print literacies on the basis that their inscriptions are rendered in pixels on screens rather than by impressions on paper, by means of digital code rather than material analogue. (Knobel & Lankshear) Literacy in the digital age is complicated. It has its positives and negatives. Learning is made simplified and all the resources a student needs is right at their fingertip, literally. However, in my classroom the students are working on the iready system and its difficult to keep students focused and on task with what they are trying to accomplish. The students constantly deviate to social media. I also discovered that students cannot read, spell or write as well as they should be for 8th grade. I find I have to consistently redress students’ grammatical errors of the most simplified words. Today during a writing prompt, a student wrote- (e.g. sumthink knew) “Something new”. Participation in new literacy practices like video games (in particular, but also others) engages good learning principles such as creating and honoring preparation for future learning, building in real choices, creating motivation for extended engagement, banishing anything “remedial,” providing opportunities to take control of one ’s own learning. (Knobel & Lankshear) Providing this opportunity for students is a great way to encourage learning but not all students take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. For some students in my classroom it’s all about having fun, and little to no learning takes place. It's a tough battle teaching students in a renewal school but nothing is impossible.

• Gerald Ardito

By Gerald Ardito

Tammy,

I enjoyed reading your response.

This really stuck out to me:

For some students in my classroom it’s all about having fun, and little to no learning takes place. It's a tough battle teaching students in a renewal school but nothing is impossible.

I think you did a good job capturing the gap between the needs and the technology.

Group E

http://pacecommons.org/groups/profile/8353/group-d
    Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018