Week 7 Group E

Good evening all!! We've made it to week 7! I look forward to reading your responses! Thanks!!

Best,

Xin

• Xi Xi Hu

By Xi Xi Hu

Our students were born into the age of technology. Smartphones and fast speed internet have become their way of life. We cannot teach our students unless we have them in our classrooms. Therefore, our education system must adapt to the new digital age. As Hicks and Turner pointed out, “we know that the nature of literacy has changed in the digital age, but unfortunately, we do not have decades to catch up to this change” (Hicks and Turner, page 2).  Changes must happen now. These new form of literacies, referred to “new literacies” must come to life in our classrooms. Knobel and Lankshear explained that new literacies’ inscriptions are rendered in pixels on screens rather than by impressions on paper. New literacies promote many modern and engaging practices such creating fan fiction, blogging and microblogging, remixing cultural artifacts, photo curating and sharing, video gaming, video game moding, online social networking, creating machinima, sharing and contributing memes, building apps, creating animations, and many more (Knobel and Lankshear, page 2). All these paradigm models are what Hicks and Turner would consider as “incorporating technology in more meaning ways” (Hicks and Turner, page 1). However, teachers often have trouble incorporating technology effectively in the classroom. Teachers use technology in the classroom, but do not always produce engaging lessons. Perhaps, many teachers lack Open Education Resources (OER). OER are teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license permitting their free use of re-purposing by other (Byrne et al. page 2). Teachers need resources such as OER to help them adapt to the digital age. Our students are so attached to technology that they can do nothing without them. We should take that into consideration when we plan our lessons. I started to assign more work online (e.g. Castle Learning) so students can get help and be assessed multiple ways aside from in class assessments. My co-teacher and I have been discussing ways to help our students review by using various online website to create review games. I am also in the process of getting Google Classroom from my school so I can upload all class materials on there. This way, students have access to all content even if they are absent. This would also make them more accountable for their learning.

• Gerald Ardito

By Gerald Ardito

Xi Xi,

I think you make an excellent point here:

However, teachers often have trouble incorporating technology effectively in the classroom. Teachers use technology in the classroom, but do not always produce engaging lessons. 

There is a belief floating around that technology is magic and just the use of it will inherently engage students and help them learn. But we know that is not what happens. The only magic is powerful teaching.

Group E

http://pacecommons.org/groups/profile/8353/group-d
      Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018