Week 5- close reading

I believe that close reading in general education is beneficial. General education students should be exposed to different levels of thinking when interacting with a text. The close reading process allows them to read and develop their own opinion towards a text while also exposing them to other ideas. This process allows them to build their depths of thinking when interacting not only with the given text, but any text assigned afterwards.Essentially Nancy Boyles states that a close reading means reading to uncover layers of meaning that lead to deep comprehension. The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) supplies clarification useful for teaching with Common Core standards in mind.

A close read of any text allows the reader to be able to make interpretations and inferences of the text they are reading granted that they understand then text. With regard to the Common Core, multimodal response to literature is a “two-fer,” addressing both reading and writing standards (NGA Center &CCSSO, 2010). First, composing with different modes is now an expectation for the successful student; writing is no longer the sole medium of expression valued in academic learning (Kress,2003). I totally agree with this, as there are readers who do struggle and need additional supports to help flush out their thinking processes. This goes hand in hand with the different types of learners there are and for some people just reading something doesn’t help them understand. On a daily basis, teachers at our school model their thinking about texts as they read aloud. This practice has been in place for years and has a strong research base (Davey, 1983). As Duffy (2003) pointed out, “The only way to model thinking is to talk about how to do it. That is, we provide a verbal description of the thinking one does or, more accurately, an approximation of the thinking involved.However, in special education, I tend to use guided reading as my method to help my students understand the text. It allows me to help them understand and learn new skills necessary to get them thinking about the text. Most of my students  are no able to do a close read as I work with moderate to severe students. I also teach an 8:1:1 class and they are as close I can get to do a close read but most of the time they do not understand the context to what they are reading if I do not break it down to down. Although they are able to read and write, they do not understand context nor can they make inference to answer simple questions. This is why I do guided reading so that they can begin to develop these skills.

Group B

Here is the online home for Group B.
Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018