Week 4: Adolescent literacy

Traditional instruction doesn’t develop all the knowledge writers need — in large measure because the focus of instruction is on composing particular assignments rather than on developing robust conceptual and strategic knowledge that transfers to new composing situations. Which is totally true. Students these day are not into learning the traditional way as mostly things are happening online via social media. Most information is not being read from a book. These students are learning from reading from blogs or on other media platforms which uses an abbreviated form of providing information to its users. Students now don’t even read from books but from a kindle or an iPad. These are important methods to ensure that students are meeting the set standards.When Shanahan, Fisher, and Frey (2012) described the use of complex texts in the classroom, they included descriptors of texts beyond the most commonly used readability formulas. Today, we know that text complexity is more broadly defined to include readability formulas as well as structure, organization, background knowledge, and motivation. I found this to mean that we have to meet the young adults where there are just as when we are dealing with children. You can have them reading something but they have no idea what is going on.The Common Core focuses on developing the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills students will need to be successful. The new standards also provide a way for teachers to measure student progress throughout the school year and ensure that students are on the pathway to success in their academic careers.Well-being that I am Essential Elements uses performance and is skill bases to determine that a student should know and can do. It provides teachers with learning targets for students within my population who have significant cognitive delays. My students in my 12:1:4 class have serious significant delays which at times can be difficult for them to follow the essential elements which is aligned to the common core standards. We try to follow the dynamic learning map in order to ensure that the students are closely following what the general education students are doing. This at times does not make sense to me because students in gen end are learning content and skills but teachers are expected to teach content that is skill bases that still aligns with general education although they are not learning the same thing or way.

• Colleen Vogle

By Colleen Vogle

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for your post this week, I like that you kept to the point and I am a 100 and 10 percent agreeing with you when you mentioned “we have to meet the young adults where there are just as when we are dealing with children. You can have them reading something but they have no idea what is going on” All of my students come to me with different reading levels, I have a classroom that over 75% of the students are not on their grade reading level and at times I wonder how can this be possible. In reality, that is a thought that will only distract my goals for my students. At the end of the day my goal is to ensure that my students are receiving a quality of education that will ensure their educational growth and allow them to be more marketable in the near future. To do this a grate focus have to be placed on providing literacy materials for my students that they can relate to and stay engaged in and outside of the classroom. Literacy don’t only come from reading a good book, it also comes from making sure that the same book is setting them up for success in both their personal and academic growth. Yes the The Common Core focuses on developing the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills students will need to be successful” but it will not be favorable for our students if are not showing growth in those areas.

—Colleen

• Gerald Ardito

By Gerald Ardito

Cinny,

I completely agree with Colleen's comments. 

You have raised some really important issues in your response, and as educators we need to be addressing them.

Group B

Here is the online home for Group B.
      Sub-Group of ED 656 - Fall 2018