Reflecting on our 3 Minute Presentations

Now that you have prepared and delivered your 3-minute presentations, it is time to reflect on the process and your performances. 

Please consider the following questions

What was your process for designing your 3 minute lesson? How did you decide what and how to present what you presented?

How did you feel about the success of your presentation? What worked? What didn’t? Why/why not?

How could you have determined whether folks learned what you wanted them to learn?

What are you walking away with from this experience?

Then, prepare a thorough and substantive reflection on your experience and post it to this discussion. We learn from one another, so feel free to respond to others' posts.

This is due by class on Thursday, February 20.

• Alexa Masucci

By Alexa Masucci

For my three minute presentation I first thought about all of the activities that I love. I thought about baking, music,my favorite shows, baseball and softball. I organized each topic by what I would talk about. Then I picked the one that made the most sense to me and seemed to be my best option. This option was the difference between baseball and softball. I thought that this was the most appropriate topic for me to pick because softball took up over ten years of my life and I loved baseball since I was a young girl. I have attended baseball games since I was little and made sure to watch the games every single day. I also played and practiced softball every single day and traveled up and down the whole east coast. So after having all of this experience I knew that I was an expert in this category.

I felt like I delivered my presentation well. I could have gone into depth a little more but I was nervous about the time and going over it. What worked for me was having a visual aid up on the screen so I knew what to talk about and it made it so much easier to explain the differences because everyone could see what I was talking about. Not only hearing it. I think I should practice talking a little more in front of people that are around my age because that’s when I get nervous and rush and forget to say things that I planned on saying.

I could tell that people were learning from my presentation because of the feedback I received and by receiving acknowledgements that people were paying attention. For example in my feedback people said things like “I never knew there were so many differences until now”. Also while I was presenting I made eye contact with people and they were engaged with what I was talking about because they were nodding their heads as I was speaking.

From this experience I am walking away with the knowledge of my fellow classmates' hobbies and realizing how since we are in school we know everyone as students and don’t truly know everyone and what they like. From these presentations we can now make bonds based on our hobbies.

• Nicole Secchiano

By Nicole Secchiano

Nicole Secchiano 

What was your process for designing your 3 minute lesson? How did you decide what and how to present what you presented?

• When we were first assigned this project I immediately knew the topic I wanted to use. I know we were asked not to use a powerpoint presentation but I did not know how else to inform the class of my topic without pictures. For many people to understand therapeutic riding they need to see how it works and hear how it works. Visuals help people understand this topic better. After I informed the class about therapeutic horsemanship and answered the essential questions I showed a video. I wanted the class to see children be helped by this therapy first hand. The video was very inspiring and it also allowed the class to see the effects of therapeutic horsemanship. It also gave professional views. 

How did you feel about the success of your presentation? What worked? What didn’t? Why/why not?

• I think my presentation was successful. I think each essential question was answered. I also think the video helped people connect what they learned from the presentation. I wish I was better prepared because the video was not downloaded. This caused some stale time where I had to log in to try and get the video to work. This wasted some time. 

How could you have determined whether folks learned what you wanted them to learn?

• During the presentation, I could see the class engaged in the topic. After class as well I had a few people approach me and say that they liked the presentation and learned a lot from it. I think because I outlined what I wanted the class to learn through essential questions it helped me ensure the class learned by answering each essential question. 

• I am walking away with the idea that it is hard to time manage with class lessons. It is hard to ensure that when you are teaching a lesson everything will go smoothly and it will be within the time allowed. When planning a lesson I think it is better to give yourself too much time than not enough time.

• Rosanna Lopergolo

By Rosanna Lopergolo

When thinking of what I was going to do for my three minute presentation, I first considered what I said on the first day of classes, which was reading. As I considered that for my three minute presentation, I struggled to see how I could make that engaging or interesting so then I reconsidered and decided to do my summer camp crafts. Since it was only three minutes, I knew I couldn’t have everyone make a craft so I decided to speak on what kinds of crafts I do and my goal is with my summer camp crafts. 

I feel pretty successful about presentation, aside from how nervous I was, but I felt like I said what I intended to say and got my point across; which is to express how I provide these crafts to get the campers engaged and interested in arts and crafts. Because I did not just explain what crafts I did but that I also explained my goal and purpose behind them, I felt like that worked in engaging the audience and not just seem like a boring lesson on crafts. However, if I had longer time, I would have had everyone participate in the game I mentioned, Art Relay Race, that way I had the audience engaged and interacting with my lesson because I really enjoyed the interacting aspect of most people’s lessons so I definitely would do that for next time. 

Based on the feedback I received, I could tell people paid attention to my lesson and made eye contact with me as I discussed my passion for my crafts and people kept that eye contact which helped me to know I wasn’t losing anyone’s interest. Many of the comments I received back from my classmates were that they enjoyed learning about my crafts and some even said they will incorporate these crafts into theirs. 

I learned a lot from my classmates and I am definitely walking away with the urge to improve my lessons and make them more engaging. Anytime a classmate had an interacting aspect to their lesson, whether it was answering questions from the presenter, physically getting up and doing what was demonstrated or have us interact with other classmates to create something for that topic, I learned to have the audience interact and have them say, “I really enjoyed that lesson” or “Wow that was so much fun!”, that is what I am taking away from my presentation.

• Danielle Prisco

By Danielle Prisco

I was nervous for my three-minute presentation because I didn’t know what I should do it on. I joked about doing the bachelor, but then my friends really wanted me to. I knew then that I wanted to persuade. I have been very passionate about this season of the bachelor because of how angry it made me. I also was already doing a bracket for the bachelor which I am determined to do good in.

I have never been good at presenting in front of my peers, but I felt I was successful at my lesson because I was invested and knowledgeable about the subject. I think using my popular opinions and something that was extremely relevant was a good choice because people were engaged in the topic. I think if I had more time I could have done into more detail about what the bachelor is for those who didn’t know as well as explained my bracket more. I felt that would have added to my presentation, but I didn’t because of the time restriction. I also felt I should’ve slowed down my talking, but that might have been in my head because when I am nervous I talk very fast.

I could determine that people learned and were persuaded because several people told me they wanted to watch the show or start watching it again. I also wanted people to feel how invested I was in the show and I felt that I was successful with that because everyone could tell I was very interested in what I was talking about.

I learned from this experience that I am a lot better at presenting things I like then I thought I would be. I thought I would do poorly on my presentation because of nerves, but I felt confident after I presented. I’m walking away more confident in myself and my presentation skills.

• Alex Knight

By Alex Knight

My process for designing my three-minute lesson plan was based off of the first day of class. Professor Ardito went around the room asking everyone if they had a passion, and what it was. My passion was working with high schoolers in regard to philanthropy work, so I thought that this topic would be a very good lesson to teach the class about. After the assignment was assigned, I went home and started writing down on a sheet of paper of what I do with these high schoolers. I then eliminated certain details to which I did not see a reason to talk about. The lesson had to be short, sweet and to the point. I could have talked about this the entire class period, so shortening my details into the key components to touch on was challenging. After eliminating a lot of detail, I had a good amount of information that I thought would really get the audience’s attention and would allow them to remember it down the road.

I felt that I was very successful with my presentation. I do not think that anything did not “work” for my lesson. I feel pretty confident that the audience learned something from my three-minute lesson and took something away from it. I do know that I should have managed my time a little better and could have touched on a couple of more notes, but that it is okay.

I think that the audience definitely learned from my lesson because I was teaching my lesson, I asked a show of hands who knew the difference between charity work and philanthropy work and only a couple of students raised their hand. I informed the audience about the difference of philanthropy and charity work and they nodded their heads and it was clear to me that they understood the difference if they didn’t already. They also learned the importance of giving back which was very key component to my lesson.

Having the feedback from the other students really helped to see if I completed what I wanted, and I did, but this isn’t always the case. Most of the time, we will not get feedback back from students on every lesson, so we have to make sure our lessons are very clear and understanding for the audience to learn and grasp.

Something that I am walking away with from this experience is that every “teacher” has a different way of teaching and that is okay. Being able to adapt to your environment and what kind of students you have in the classroom is very important as well, and I saw that with this experience. Every student that gave their lesson taught it in their own way and personally, I think they all taught it in many different ways meaning that they knew what kind of classmates they had, so they used certain topics or certain information that would grasp their attention and prevent them from gazing off. 

• Gianna Merante

By Gianna Merante

When assigned this assignment, I wondered how I can put a lesson about driving together for the class to enjoy. The way that I drive now compared to how I drove when I was learning is very different. After realizing that, I thought to juxtapose the way you are supposed to drive compared to the way I drive. When putting together the presentation, I thought that there would be a little laugh when I brought in the Wii steering wheel hoping some of the students in the class have used it before. I presented the basics of driving. For example, I included what should be known before putting your car in drive. When presenting how I drive, I remembered mentioning my favorite road to the class when I said my topic was driving, so I included a picture of my favorite road to show the class because I think that road is a beautiful scenery.

I feel like my presentation was okay, but it could have been better. I feel like I could’ve had a little bit more information about driving and the way I drive, but I was worried about time. I think bringing in the steering wheel to present gave a little laugh to my classmates which was my goal. I also noticed when I presented my way of driving it got a few more people looking than when I was explaining the basics of driving. I think people were more interested in the way that I drove rather than me giving the rundown of how to drive because when I asked if someone did not drive in the class, no one raised their hand.

From the surveys Professor Ardito had us fill out after each student presented, I got to see that they got what I was trying to learn. My way of driving is probably most common for any one, but not many so them getting the idea was my goal and I think it was achieved. Like I said earlier, I noticed when I was presenting about the way I drive, most of the class seemed more interested than just hearing the basics which was just the background of driving which everyone knew prior.

I am walking away with being more confident to present in front of the class now that I got a feel from it. I enjoyed our first presentation being something about us because I feel like it got everyone more comfortable with each other. I also now got to know a little something about each of my classmates which was interesting.

• Alexander Weiss

By Alexander Weiss

I have taken ASL (American Sign Language) at Pace University for the past two semesters. It has quickly surpassed the other academic courses I have participated in throughout the years in various aspects. It has expanded my knowledge and understanding of a second language/culture in a manner I have never experienced before prior to my arrival at college. Based upon my previous experiences I am aware that American Sign Language is a difficult subject for beginners to grasp during the first lesson. It requires intense muscle memory and the assimilation of English grammatics in order for students to comprehend the language. Therefore, I decided to present the alphabet during my three minute lesson. It is crucial for ASL beginners to be knowledgeable of the letters in the alphabet in order to fingerspell words/sentences and hold a basic conversation with deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals.

My presentation was successful based upon the feedback I received from my peers and own assumptions. The mode that I focused upon throughout the development of my presentation was the experience aspect. For example, I engaged the classroom through the mutual signing of the alphabet as well as calling upon students to sign their own names. It kept students active and involved throughout the entire three minute lesson. Moreover, the difficulties that occurred during the presentation included my speeding up of the alphabet. If I had a longer time range to present I would have amended this mistake through the repetition of signs and answering students’ questions in that portion of the lesson. 

I am aware that students learned what I wanted them to through their budding interests in the language. For instance, a peer commented on the response sheet that they did not know that New York City held various amounts of deaf events and stated that they were excited to attend one in the future. Moreover, the goal of my lesson was to not to teach students to immediately sign accurately. Rather it was to introduce my fellow peers to another language that I am extremely passionate about understanding and learning further. Therefore, I am walking away from this presentation with a very successful first teaching experience. I feel confident that I achieved the entirety of my goals for the lesson and further influenced students to develop identical positive responses to the language (ASL) as well.

• Naya Rivera

By Naya Rivera

Naya Rivera

Professor Ardito

TCH 215

18 February 2020

3 Minute Lesson Reflection

During the process of designing my three-minute lesson the first thing I thought about was, “okay what can I do that will be fun in three minutes?” I figured that although I could take the time to inform the class about something in the short amount of time, I thought it would be more memorable to do something that would make at least one person smile a little bit. Another initial thought I had was centering the lesson around one of my favorite songs. I went against that idea because I felt as though I wouldn’t be able to do it justice by giving an in-depth analysis of why the lyrics mean so much to me. Music is something that I listen to every single day. I have so many favorites. This is true in everything I do and a big part of the reason I wanted to teach in the first place. I love things openly and all the time. I didn’t want to have a career where I had to give any of those things up.

At this point, I decided it would be a good idea to make a collage of some of the albums I really like. I thought using pictures as opposed to listing was a better idea because it would give the class a visual representation of things that they may have seen before. It also fit the time constraints because I could briefly address some albums while the class looked at the collage and hopefully saw something they have heard.

The good thing about having a topic like music is that I knew I would be able to use it as a part of the presentation relatively easily. At this point I had to decide which song I would incorporate within the lesson. I thought to myself, “what is a song that most people know?” That is when I thought back to my time working this summer. I am a one-to-one teacher’s aide at Rockland Boces. I work in a program with students with developmental disabilities. One of the extra responsibilities that I have taken on for the past two years is deejaying the weekly Friday dance parties that the whole program participates in. One of the songs that we play is “We Will Rock You” by Queen. Whenever the song plays everyone pounds the tables in unison. Everyone smiles, laughs and sings along to the song. I figured this song would be perfect because it is familiar, has a beat that is easy to follow, and is very fun.

I felt as though my presentation was successful. My sole purpose was to create an experience and in doing so I was able to allow my classmates to see a little bit more of who I am and the things that I like. I asserted that music was a unifier of people and I stand by that. In my feedback section someone told me they liked Travis Scott too which was one of the artists in the collage that I didn’t even bring up. I brought us together as a class to participate in something that was fun. Some of the other feedback included how people were smiling and had a lot of fun. This was my primary goal so I would say that I thought my lesson was successful at achieving its purpose.

On the other hand, one thing that didn’t work was getting everybody on beat. In retrospect, I should have clapped as an example, told everyone to stop, then played the song and started again on beat. Also, I should have made sure I knew how to raise the volume prior to starting the lesson. I didn’t expect everyone to keep clapping after I had stopped to start the music. Once everyone started and was participating, I honestly did not want to let anyone cop out! I decided to encourage everyone to ride it out even though I knew we were off beat. It worked out in the end and added some comedy.

The main way that I determined that people were learning what I was trying to get across was by their participation. When I scanned the crowd, I only saw one or two people that weren’t clapping along. From this observation I concluded that either they didn’t want to clap, or they didn’t understand what I was asking of them. I assumed the former.

The experience of creating this lesson showed me the importance of getting a point across in a short amount of time. All of us had to get our points across within the time constraints and that altered the way we thought about our planning. Time was a limiting factor and everyone's presentation was contingent on making this time frame. With a longer amount of time we would have had to plan differently, probably include more information or activities, and varied our methods. I’ve learned that even in a short amount of time, with proper planning and execution you can achieve the goal of a lesson and have some fun.

• Tess Altebrando

By Tess Altebrando

• The process for designing my 3 minute lesson plan was to make sure I picked a topic that related to my passion. There are many things that I am passionate about and it was a challenge to pick one thing that I wanted to talk about. However, once I really thought about it, the only thing that made sense was to make my lesson plan on my love for being involved in the special education community. Deciding to do a powerpoint was not my original idea but I knew that I wanted to showcase the children that make me love what I do.

• Overall, I felt that my presentation was a success. The pictures of the children gave a better visual of what the programs were that I am a part of. I did feel that my voice was shaky and at certain points I tripped myself up with what I wanted to say but I do not feel as though that hurt my presentation as a whole.

• I could determine that the class was learning and engaged while I was presenting because they were attentive and following along. Looking at the feedback from the class was a good indicator of if they understood the purpose of my presentation or not as well. Reading what the class thought of my topic made me feel more confident about the presentation that I gave.

• I am walking away from this experience with a better idea of how I can go about speaking to groups of people. I also am walking away with seeing the difference between presenting a topic with passion verse presenting a topic just because it is something you have to do. Being in classroom settings my entire life it is easy to tell when the teacher does not care much about what they are teaching. It is also hard to focus when that is the case. It was much easier to pay attention when the presenters were enthusiastic about their topic. Another thing I am walking away with is the understanding that planning class lessons in an allotted amount of time is difficult and you need to be aware of that at all times.

• William Capalbo

By William Capalbo

My process for this three-minute lesson was based on what I do at my job. I decided to pick a song that gets people up and moving as part of gross motor. Having learned about doing lessons and experiencing first-hand lesson planning I tried something that I liked doing with the children at my job. I did it in the way that I usually do it which was making everyone stand up and move. I felt this helped get my point across

I enjoyed my presentation and I felt it was fun to do with people over the age of 2. I felt that moving to the song worked and showed a great example of what to do. I felt that the aftermath of the song is what didn't work because I forgot what I was going to say after. Overall it was a great experience. 

I could've gone into more detail about my job and what I do because I wanted to do the song more but also realized after that I left out a lot of important details.

I'm walking away from this experience with a better idea of what to do next time I have to do a lesson. I know how to explain more and tell more along with showing examples for people to understand. Sometimes other teachers make it look easy but in reality, it isn't and whatever age group you teach you to have to make sure your students understand what is going on. I also know now I have to plan more ahead for some stuff to teach.

TCH 215 Spring 2020

TCH 215 Spring 2020

Welcome to the online home for TCH 215.