Questions for our Book

I am very excited about how this project is shaping up.

Here are the six questions that received the most votes:

2. In a practical sense, how can teachers combat the restrictiveness of the classroom and give students freedom? What is the ideal or right balance between constraint and freedom in a classroom?

4. What are the effects of hierarchical structures (AP courses, tracking students, grade levels) on learning and education? Are they necessary? What are the pros and cons? What are the intended and unintended outcomes?

6. How is the scope of sequence of content organized the way that they are? How does the cultural settings or norms or governmental priorities shape what is taught and how and when? What happens when what is taught is harmful? Why do you really, really have to learn these things later? How are educational standards and pacing calendars developed? Who decides what is taught and when? Who has a voice or not and why?

7. The outcomes of learning after traumatic experiences. How do things that happen in our society affect our educational system (e.g., shooter drills)? Has self preservation become a technology in our schools?

8. What are our visions for the future of education based on our own experiences?

11. How does what we teach influence people’s willingness to learn? How do we create an educational system that engages everyone? How does motivation work and what role does it play in learning and education?

Please look them over and do the following:
a. Are there any other questions we should consider?
b. Think about which questions you would like to work on?

Discuss, reflect, share.

• Sierra Muehlbauer

By Sierra Muehlbauer

I think the questions we chose encompass the conversations we have been having this semester and I agree with the general consensus of the class. The questions that I resonate with the most and I am most interested in is two, four, and eleven. 

• Keely Sanchez

By Keely Sanchez

I think that the questions that we have already cover a wide range of topics. I really like all of them. 

Personally, I would love to work on questions 4 and 11. 

• Alex Muniz

By Alex Muniz

I think the questions the class chose are perfect for assembling a wider variety of questions for the class book. That being said, I would love to work closer with questions 2, 8 and 11. 

• Deye Sarr

By Deye Sarr

I find questions 4 and 11 to be the topics that I'm most excited about broaching. I feel as though the questions that were chosen are representative of the things we've been discussing over the past few weeks and are very intriguing.

• Cooper Sandin

By Cooper Sandin

I think these questions are reflective of our class's general interests regarding the subject and, given that they were selected over other suggested questions, I don't think any more is necessary. I don't have a strong preference for which questions I'd like to focus on and wouldn't mind being assigned to whichever question might need an additional member.

• Rafael

By Rafael

I think i would enjoy writing on questions 2 and 11. But i feel that if we do not include more that itll be hard to create a full fledged book. So on that note I feel that 6 and 7 should also be included because it offers a more focused idea to the discussion.

• Mariana Garcia Tinoco

By Mariana Garcia Tinoco

I believe these questions target the class concerns in learning and education, which is very important for the research to generate engagement and reach certain depth.  

Philosophy of Education Fall 2019

Philosophy of Education Fall 2019

Welcome to the online home for PHI 180.