Professional Development Plans

Please post links to your Professional Development Plans here.

This work is due no later than Sunday, July 14.

• Nubia Adams

By Nubia Adams

Since the start of this course, the first assignment allowed me to think about my professional practices as a pedagogue and how I can grow as an effective educator. I realized that my current strength is creating assessments that measure students' content knowledge, such as assessing whether students understood the content of a lesson about the Revolutionary War. Initially, I stated that my area for growth in assessments is creating assessments that measure students' acquirement of a particular skill, and still, that is a weakness of mine and a goal I will work on for the future, but I've also come to realize that one very important factor I am not focusing on enough in my classroom is feedback.

I administered ‘summative assessments’ in the form of the SANDI and FAST exams, and I used these assessments as the base for creating my students’ individual education goals, however, during that time, I did not give any intentional feedback to my students from these assessments. As a first-year teacher, I was just starting to learn how to assess my students and provide them with the appropriate instruction. I mostly used the results to create assignments and activities for my students, which was intentional, and the results from SANDI and FAST were used to create individualized classwork and instruction for my students.

According to the article Formative and Summative Assessments in the Classroom by Dixon & Worrell, “one of the most common summative assessments used in schools are the mandated tests by the state” (.p156). These are what the SANDI and FAST exams are considered. The issue with these assessments however, is that they don't allow an opportunity to provide students feedback. It was my responsibility to find a way to provide my students with feedback from these assessments. The article titled, Formative Assessment and Feedback: Making Learning Visible, states that “feedback is seen as a primary component in formative assessment and one of the factors that have the strongest influence on learning” (Havnes, Smith, Dysthe, Ludvigsen, p.21). This is something that I must become better at implementing in my classroom instruction and intentionally following assessments.

I found the feedback model described in the article titled "The Power of Feedback" by Hattie Timperley to be very useful in helping me create an action plan to improve these deficits in my teaching and assessment practices. The article uses the model below which I will adopt as a professional development plan for using intentional feedback in my classroom this year (Figure 1, p. 87).

This model outlines the purpose for using feedback, the expected results of using feedback, and the process of providing the feedback. I will use the first 4 months of the school year to practice using the three questions "where am I going, how am I going, and where to next?" as a way to develop a culture of giving feedback to my students in the classroom. I will use the second of the year to practice my intentionalism in providing feedback by understanding how I am using the four levels of feedback: the task, the processing, the regulatory, and the self levels; to effectively give feedback to my students. 

At the beginning of the year I will start to create ways to assess students and provide multiple opportunities for feedback such as self-created individualized rubrics for students, allow students to 'self-assess', and also giving some opportunities for peer review so that students can appreciate and understand the use of feedback a little more. I appreciate this course for allowing to see ways in which I can grow as a professional. 

References

Dante D. Dixson & Frank C. Worrell (2016) Formative and Summative Assessment in the Classroom, Theory Into Practice, 55:2, 153-159, DOI: 10.1080/00405841.2016.1148989

John Hattie and Helen Timperley, The Power of Feedback, REVIEW OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH 2007; 77; 81 DOI: 10.3102/003465430298487

Susan M. Brookhart, A Theoretical Framework for the Role of Classroom Assessment in Motivating Student Effort and Achievement, APPLIED MEASUREMENT IN EDUCATION, 10(2), 161-180

• Ivan Baez

By Ivan Baez

In the first assignment I identified my own weaknesses as learning to assess students better and to work on improving my differentiation skills.  “As a first year teacher there is a great learning curve and always much more to learn for myself in terms of bettering my assessment of students. I would like to improve my abilities in developing creative ways to differentiate in group lessons…I would like to incorporate more rigor into my assessments to push my students to achieve as much as they can.

From my own research I struggled to find peer reviewed sources for ways to differentiate assessments for inclusion classrooms. “researchers have rarely investigated the ways teachers differentiate assessments and the effects of co assessment in co taught settings. “ (Conderman 2012) I find this to be a major disservice to a growing population. I also feel that as a special educator my action plan is to advocate for my students to be fairly assessed on their academic levels. Assessment in my world is more than test prep to demonstrate that we have learned a certain standard. Assessment means determining where the students stands academically, emotionally and socially.  “A national survey of teachers found that while time spent on tested subjects increased, time spent on both non tested subjects and other activities (e.g., student free time, field trips, assemblies) decreased (Pedulla et al.,2003). Nichols and Berliner (2005) identified instances of nap time, recess, and lunch being cut or given less time in order to provide more time focused on tested subjects and test preparation,” (Faxon-Mills 2013)  

My plan for myself to better my assessment strategies and differentiation will be to work on pre-reading assessments and deciding what I need to know about each student to properly assess them. I will do a pre assessment at the beginning of the school year in the fall and at the end of each quarter I will revisit this assessment. To work on my differentiation skills especially when it comes to providing feedback I will utilize district coaches, my team of teachers on my grade level and my curriculum support teacher. Between this team of experienced educators I hope to continue to better my skills in assessment and meaningful feedback.  

Conderman, G., & Hedin, L. (2012). Purposeful Assessment Practices for Co-Teachers. TEACHING Exceptional Children,44(4), 18-27.

Faxon-Mills, S., Hamilton, L. S., Rudnick, M., & Stecher, B. M. (2013). New assessments, better instruction? designing assessment systems to promote instructional improvement. Santa Monica: RAND Corporation.

EDG 605 Summer 2019

EDG 605 Summer 2019

This is the online home for EDG 605 Summer 2019